Swollen upper eyelids: the main reasons and methods for getting rid of the problem
Swollen upper eyelids are a problem with which, althoughalmost every person would encounter it once in a lifetime. Well, if swelling can be removed with a simple cold compress, but what if it does not disappear and, moreover, is accompanied by pain and discomfort? In fact, such a defect may indicate a completely different disease, so do not ignore the symptoms.
Why did the upper eyelid swell up?
Of course, there are many factors that cancause swelling of the eyelids. Some of them are relatively harmless, while others signal a very dangerous violation requiring immediate medical attention. So what does the swollen upper eyelids show?
- To begin with it is worth mentioning about allergicreaction, since it is the one that most often causes the edema. In the role of allergens can act cosmetic products, protein products of animal metabolism, dust mites, etc. And do not forget about seasonal allergies that occur when contacting pollen of plants. The allergic reaction, as a rule, is accompanied not only by the swelling of the eyelids, also by the cut in the eyes and reddening of the conjunctiva.
- Puffy upper eyelids are often observedbarley - inflammation of the sebaceous gland located at the root of the eyelash. Barley, as a rule, is accompanied by a strong swelling, pain and the formation of a noticeable abscess, which bursts after a few days.
- Blepharitis is a disease caused by inflammation of the skinEyelid tissue. Most often the inflammatory process is triggered by bacterial infection, although the cause may be both viruses and fungi. Therefore, if the upper eyelid has turned red and swollen, it is necessary to make an appointment with an ophthalmologist.
- Another fairly common reason is thatconjunctivitis - inflammation of the mucous membrane of the eye. The swelling of the eyelids is just one of the symptoms. This disease is also characterized by redness, pain and pain in the eyes, the formation of mucous or purulent discharge. By the way, inflammation of the conjunctiva can be caused by the activity of a bacterial, fungal or viral infection, as well as contact with some chemicals, including those contained in decorative cosmetics.
- Do not forget about other reasons. If the swollen upper eyelids are the only symptom, then this may indicate the accumulation of excess fluid in the body. Puffiness can appear during pregnancy, changes in the hormonal background, against the background of taking a number of drugs - while there is no redness of the skin, no suppuration, no pain. Quite often, this condition occurs if there are problems with kidney function or developing kidney failure.
Swollen upper eyelids: what to do?
Of course, puffiness can be tried to removeyourself. In this case, cool compresses of cucumber juice, parsley broth, strong tea brew and chamomile broth will be wonderful helpers. But, as you have already understood, swollen eyelids can be a symptom of a number of very unpleasant diseases, in which home methods of treatment are unlikely to help. That's why it's worth asking for help from a specialist. Only the doctor will be able to determine the cause of the edema and prescribe the appropriate treatment.