Skate sharpening: equipment and tools, technology and expert recommendations
In order to bring the blades in order, it is necessary to carry out the grinding of skates in a quality and correct manner. This can be done in two ways - independently or in special places. Experts recommend not to conduct experiments and immediately contact the professionals in their field.
Where can I sharpen skates?
Let's define your level to see which of the possible ways is more rational. If you are an amateur and plan to ride "in a circle" without working out any movements, you can do it yourself, contact a metal repair shop that has suitable equipment, or a network store - for example, you can make a decent sharpening of skates in Sportmaster , on the ice arena, if they provide related services.
If ice is your passion, then the only option would be to contact specialized shops or services in the section that the dog ate in this case.
How do different skates sharpen?
Different skates need to be put in order in different ways. For example, if you are engaged in speed skating, then for your skates all the blades will be sharpened manually. Defects on hockey or shaped blades are first cleaned by a machine, and then brought to the master by the hands of the master. For different sports on ice has its own technology sharpening.
For skaters, the only acceptable option for the working surface is its absolute smoothness. Figured and hockey blades are sharpened with grooves of various shapes and depths.
When to sharpen skates?
The frequency of sharpening is determined by the sport, the intensity of the load, the level of skill, the care of the blade and the upcoming competitions. It is believed that figure skates are sharpened less often than others. In any case, you will have to give skates to the workshop if you have:
- New, just purchased shoes. A very common misconception is that new shoes can be put on and immediately go on the ice. If you ride for yourself, you can not correct the flaws of the plant.If you want to start studying the simplest elements, then they should be taken to a worthy specialist.
- Error during the previous sharpening. Professionals can fix almost any flaws - the error of an unqualified specialist or the consequences of independent work.
- Blades slip on ice during acceleration.
- Shifting the blades when turning.
Now let's talk about when you do not need to give them to the workshop. Skaters are quite demanding on the quality of sharpening, but even professionals need time for getting used and run-in. Therefore, it is not recommended to grind skates before competitions. You can give the workshop a week or two before an important event to put them in order. If you for some reason could not do this before, be sure to tell the master that you have competition on the nose. He will not take the metal off the blades too much.
Sharpening equipment and tools
In order for the master to be able to put your skates in order, he will need special equipment. Machines are divided into two types - automatic or manual. Automatic models allow you to put the shoe vertically, the blades themselves are at the bottom.The master needs only to apply the marking, insert the ridge into the holder and adjust the diamond discs. Then the car will do everything itself. For manual mechanisms, the ridge lies on its side, its blade is directed inside the structure, and the removal of irregularities is possible only with direct control by the master of the whole process. In addition, the specialist must check the quality of work performed, and, if necessary, manually bring the blade to mind. In this he will be helped by an abrasive diamond-coated bar, a polishing stone and a finishing stone.
Another master useful diamond pencil, oil and wax for sharpening, measuring devices and other accessories for manual and automatic work.
How to sharpen figure skates
The quality of the work done depends very much on the master who conducts it. It is he who assesses the state of the blades, chooses the suitable radius for sharpening skates and brings to mind manually. All blades for skaters have a semi-circular concavity, which allows them to perform various maneuvers and jumps.
The groove is ground with a depth of 6 to 40 divisions. Usually work is carried out in the range of 10-15.Its size depends on the goals of the skating, the elements performed, the weight of the athlete and the quality of the ice. Based on this information and on the instructions of the trainer, the master selects a suitable disk and sets the required radius.
Sharpening figure skates is carried out in several stages:
- adjustment of the apparatus and the installation of the blade in the grooves;
- work on the removal of the metal layer and the formation of the groove;
- check the quality of sharpening and manual polishing the surface of the blades to remove burrs, chipping, microparticles and improve adhesion to the surface.
In order to determine the desired depth of the groove, the master is guided by special tables.
How to sharpen hockey skates
The sharpening of hockey skates is carried out more often than figured ones. Constant collisions with other players, pucks or club strikes oblige athletes to sharpen them once a week or even more often. The sharpening technique for hockey is different from others, it can be done in 3 ways.
For amateur skating using the standard method - is a groove in a semicircle inward. Most of the manual and automatic machines in the workshops offer exactly these services.The next option is the so-called Cannel Z. Due to the unique configuration of the groove - a semicircular with a square notch - the blades become less thinner, as they sharpen to a shallower depth while maintaining and increasing the quality characteristics. The third method - FTB sharpening of hockey skates - is practically not used in Russia.
The process of sharpening itself involves several steps:
- Step 1. Assessment of the state of the blade, the choice of sharpening method and the depth of the groove. For convenience, a diamond pencil is used to mark up.
- Step 2. Surface treatment on the installation. Boots must be fixed with special clips and start the machine.
- Step 3. Check the symmetry of the ribs on both pairs. Using tools for sharpening skates to clean the surface to remove burrs and other irregularities.
- In order to properly perform work on automatic or manual machines, you will have to refer to the instructions. It describes in detail the setup of the device, the rules for sharpening and working with tools.
Experts recommend monitoring the condition of the blades. The deeper the grooves from hitting them, the harder it is for a specialist to restore their acceptable working appearance.So that skates do not have to be taken frequently for correction, it is not recommended to walk without covers outside the ice arena without covers. The same goes for metal sides at exits, ceramic tiles and wooden flooring.