How to fix drywall?
Watch the video
It would seem that quite recently we didn’t know what drywall was, did repairs with the help of plaster and plaster. What is this material, and how to fix drywall without problems?
The basis of drywall is gypsum, which has a number of useful properties for humans. It is able to pass air, maintain air humidity, does not contain toxic substances, is incombustible, non-radioactive, almost odorless, and even has an acidity that is similar to human skin. Gypsum core is plastered on both sides with a special cardboard to achieve maximum strength. The result is a gypsum board, the length of which, as a rule, ranges from 2 to 5 meters, and the width ranges from 120-130 centimeters.
Drywall with its small weight can save money and time during the repair of both the office and any apartment. It is produced by construction companies from Russia, the USA, Great Britain, Germany, France and many other countries. This magnificent material can be used for the following purposes:
- when leveling and updating old walls without dust and dirt;
- when creating interior partitions (installing it on a special frame);
- when leveling and finishing the ceiling.
How to fix drywall? The method of fixing drywall depends on the following factors:
- surface type and plasterboard thickness;
- the specificity of the room or design;
- weight of drywall;
- humidity level in the room.
Fix the drywall can be either on glue or on a frame basis. When mounted on glue, drywall will not be able to withstand heavy weight loads, and the structures made of it will not be rigid enough. Mounting drywall on a frame basis raises a number of significant issues, which we consider below.
Profiles for mounting drywall
Typically, the fastening of drywall to the wall is done with wooden or metal profiles. In the construction industry, metal sheets made of galvanized sheet, capable of withstanding corrosion, are more commonly used. Allocate:
- main metal profiles (take the main load of the structure);
- guide metal profiles (usually horizontal, used to fix sheets of drywall);
- corner metal profiles (used over drywall, aligning its corners).
How to fix a profile for drywall? As a rule, the guide profile plays the role of the direction in which the main profiles are inserted. Corner profiles protect the drywall from external mechanical damage and are attached to the corners of the slab.
Necessary tools and materials
- profiles (size and thickness depends on the type of room, ceiling and wall thickness);
- dowels and screws (length depends on the thickness of the drywall);
- gypsum plaster;
- reinforcing mesh;
- a hammer;
- hacksaw, knife;
- putty knife;
- meter and building level.
Mount drywall to the wall
So, how to fix drywall to the wall? Before starting work, make a wall layout and determine the footage from profile to wall. Measure the profiles and drywall and cut them, and also drill holes for dowels in the wall. Then:
- Secure the profiles with wall plugs.
- Attach sliced drywall with self-tapping screws to the profiles at a distance of 20-25 cm from each other.
- Place joints in two layers with a putty, using a reinforcing mesh between them.
Now you can glue wallpaper, self-adhesive film on the surface of the wall, apply paint or install ceramic tiles (in this case, you will need 2 layers of drywall).
Mount the drywall to the ceiling
How to fix drywall to the ceiling? In this case, the same tools and materials are used as for fastening drywall to the wall. First, it is necessary to mark the suspended ceiling with the help of a building level, as well as outline the attachment points of the suspensions and drill them. Then:
- Attach the suspension to the supporting base and build profiles into it.
- To arrange all the electrical wiring in the drywall construction, and to pull out the cable in the proposed locations of the luminaires.
- Install drywall in the desired position and fix it to the main frame with screws, while the heads of the screws should be recessed into the drywall to a depth of about 1 mm. for subsequent puttying.
If you want to see how to fix drywall, a video describing the mounting process can be found in this article.