How to convince a child to treat teeth and not be afraid of the dentist
Let us examine the situation when the child from you inherited not problematic teeth.
- The first informed visit of the child to the dentist should not be associated with treatment, but only with a qualitative examination of the entire oral cavity and acquaintance with the dental office and its atmosphere, which you and the doctor should create good and favorable.
- Choose the clinic and the doctor thoroughly, use the recommendations of people you can trust, reviews on the Internet.
Of course, it is desirable that the profiling direction of the clinic was childish, but if not, then it is necessary that in your chosen clinic there are doctors specializing in treating children and earning trust from their young patients.Information about the children's rating of doctors can also be obtained from the secretary-registrar of the clinic, with whom it would be appropriate to confidentially secretly prior to your first visit.
- Find out the name of the doctor. Set up a child for a visit not just to the dentist, but, for example, to Dr. Alexander, who cares how his teeth grow and behave.
- The child should walk prepared by your story about what is required of him in the dental office.
His chair should not scare him, the overhead light, he should be ready to keep his mouth open for a while and allow the doctor to examine his teeth with the help of tools. The story may not be enough - lose the proposed situation with the child. Let him be patient in the game, you have already been to the dentist, but promise that after visiting this doctor you will be the patient, and he will be able to treat you.
- Ensure that the child communicates directly with the doctor so that all the tips, recommendations and attitudes regarding the rules of dental care, the consumption norms of sweet and flour, cold and hot, sugary drinks — everything that can harm — the child received not from you, but from a specialist, to whom he and you trust.
In the future, you can introduce prohibitions or restrictions, referring to these instructions, and not just to your parental concern.
It can be magnetic medals "for courage" (such as they give out to children in diagnostic laboratories), children's souvenir toothbrushes, children's stands for brushes with hourglasses ... any targeted gifts as memorable signs about a good meeting. Do not forget to prepare such gifts for each visit.
You need to complete the visit with a pleasant event - a visit to a park, cinema or other event in the interests of the child, so that a positive association remains in his memory.