How to choose the wallpaper?
Watch the video
Perhaps no finishing material does not have such a wide range of possibilities as wallpaper. On sale you can find many different colors and textures. Thanks to this diversity, it is easy to choose a wallpaper for any interior - whether it is a historical design or a minimalist style. However, the presence of such a rich assortment does not automatically guarantee the right choice. It is important not only to know which wallpapers to choose, but also how to combine them with the general style of the room. To do this, take into account a number of factors.
- The size and geometry of the room.
- The functional purpose of the room.
- The degree of brightness of lighting, both natural and artificial.
- The material used for finishing the floor and ceiling in the room, its color performance.
- Correspondence of wallpapers to textiles in the room, as well as furniture and decor items.
In more detail, this topic is covered in the article How to choose wallpaper for furniture.
Types of wallpaper
Wallpapers are smooth and embossed, moisture-resistant and not subject to wet cleaning, and can also be made of a variety of materials.
Despite the appearance of new types of wallpaper, paper, as before, continue to enjoy high demand. This is due to their relatively low price, which allows you to change the interior at least every year. There is only one drawback of paper wallpaper, which does not allow using them in rooms with high humidity (kitchens, bathrooms, bathrooms), this is their high permeability. Simply put, paper wallpaper can not be washed!
When buying, you should pay attention to the number of layers of paper, if there are two of them - in front of you are two-layer paper wallpaper (duplex), if one is single-layer (simplex). The first option is preferable, such wallpaper is stronger and better hide the defects of the glued surface.
The basis of textile wallpaper is paper or interlining, and the surface consists of fibers: flax, viscose, cotton, etc. An example of such wallpaper is velor. Their surface is soft, velvety, pleasant to the touch. Textile wallpaper resistant to fading, environmentally friendly, have high noise and thermal insulation characteristics. Since they are not subject to wet cleaning, it is recommended to vacuum them once a month to remove dust.
This wallpaper is not only very beautiful, but also strong, durable and not afraid of moisture.Due to the fact that they consist of a polyvinyl chloride film deposited on a paper or fabric base, they can safely paste over any room, including kitchens, bathrooms and toilets.
Vinyl wallpapers are different. There is a “silk-screen printing”, their surface is smooth, dense with a matte or mother-of-pearl shade, and there are foam wallpapers that have a relief pattern and can serve as an imitation of the “expensive” wall decoration.
Wall-paper from a flizelin or completely consist of this nonwoven fabric on the basis of cellulose fibers, or have it as a basis with a surface from PVC of a film. They are often pasted over the walls for painting. They are durable, resilient and resistant to damage. In addition, glue is applied only on the wall, and not on the canvas, which allows to significantly simplify the process of pasting.
In addition to the above types, there are liquid wallpaper, metal, cork, bamboo, glass wall, etc. Each of them has its own advantages and pasting technology. More information can be found in our Wallpaper section of our site.
Secrets of the right choice
Consider a few tips and find out how to choose the right wallpaper, what to look for.
- Choose a wallpaper from a material suitable for each specificrooms, taking into account humidity and degree of operation of the room.
- In rooms of elongated, narrow, the ornament on the wallpaper should contain horizontal lines that allow visually expanding the space. In rooms with low ceilings, it is better to use wallpaper with vertical lines or a large pattern.
- Rooms with windows to the north and west are covered with wallpaper of warm shades. Predominant colors: red, yellow, orange, green. For rooms with windows facing east and south, choose the wallpaper of the "cold" colors: blue, purple, blue, blue-green.
These tips will help you avoid common mistakes that customers often make when trying to match wallpaper.
Possible errors when choosing wallpaper
Sometimes it happened that the wallpaper in the store was really liked, and it looked great on a roll, but after pasting instead of delight, they were disappointing. This happens because some important points are not taken into account.
- Wallpaper can change color.After pasting, they usually becomeslightly darker. So choose a wallpaper that is lighter than necessary.
- In rooms with bright, sunny lighting wallpaper with textured, convex pattern are lost, they are more appropriate in darkened rooms (bedrooms, corridors).
- Smooth wallpapers do not mask the irregularities of the walls, but emphasize them. The same can be said about the wallpaper with a large pattern.
The use of such recommendations will allow you to choose the wallpaper accurately and create a beautiful and practical interior.