Cordless screwdriver: views, a review of the best models, tips on choosing
A set of everyday home tools can not be imagined without a screwdriver. You will need them if you need to outweigh the bookshelf, compress the wires of the electrical outlet, and still produce hundreds of various actions. Naturally, you can also tighten / unscrew a pair of screws with the help of a standard manual tool. Well, if you, for example, are engaged in assembling furniture, servicing electrical panels or repairing household appliances, the monotonous and rather labor-intensive activity can be accelerated and facilitated using a cordless screwdriver. After all, with the help of it you can tighten / unscrew more than one hundred screws or screws, without at all straining at all.
All cordless screwdrivers can be divided (albeit quite arbitrarily) into two main varieties:
- for domestic purposes.
The first are the most powerful and, of course, expensive devices. The latter are distinguished by both lower cost and low functional equipment.
Main technical specifications
The main technical characteristics of the battery screwdrivers are:
- maximum torque: from 2.4 to 18 Nm;
- battery capacity: 0.6 to 1.5 Ah;
- the number of maximum revolutions at idle: from 150 to 870 rpm;
- battery voltage: 2.4 to 10.8 Volts;
- battery type: Li-Ion or Ni-Cd;
- weight: 0.3 to 0.8 kg;
- chuck type: mainly internal hex (with magnetic or snap-on lock bit, some professional models are equipped with a keyless chuck);
- the number of fixed positions adjusting the twisting force: up to 19;
- type of handle: fixed (straight or pistol), hinged (two positions or with a variable angle).
Advantages and scope
Many users may have a logical question: why buy a screwdriver (powered by a built-in battery), when for about the same money you can buy a full-sized screwdriver.The screwdriver has two undeniable advantages over the “big brother”. It has a much smaller size and weight. As a result, working with it for a long time (and especially in a confined space) is much more convenient. Yes, and hands get tired much less. In addition, ease of use increases the additional angle nozzles and a transformable (for many models of screwdrivers) handle. Screwdriver (with a standard L-shaped handle) does not have these advantages. And although the scope of screwdrivers is limited mainly by electrical installation work and the screwing of screws into wood of various densities, these handy tools are in great demand among numerous users.
Which battery to choose
There are two types of batteries that are used in modern battery screwdrivers: Li-Ion (lithium ion) and Ni-Cd (nickel-cadmium). Both those and others possess both pluses, and minuses.
The advantages of lithium-ion batteries include:
- no so-called memory effect, that is, recharging can be done at any convenient time;
- high capacity with a small mass.
- higher cost (compared with nickel-cadmium analogues);
- reducing the time of continuous operation at low temperatures.
Advantages of nickel-cadmium batteries:
- the memory effect of the residual charge (the next recharging is recommended only after the battery is completely discharged);
- high self-discharge current during storage.
The most popular rechargeable screwdrivers with a 3.6-volt lithium-ion batteries. You can recharge such products at a convenient time from any USB charger.
The most popular manufacturers of cordless screwdrivers (according to numerous users, both among professionals and ordinary "home craftsmen") in terms of price / quality / reliability ratio are:
- German Bosch, Black & Decker, Hammer and AEG;
- Russian Interskol and Bison;
- Japanese Makita, Ryobi and Hitachi;
- American DeWalt;
- British Sealey.
The price depends on both the technical characteristics and the configuration (additional attachments for working in hard-to-reach places, a set of bits, a plastic case for storage and transportation).Products of domestic manufacturers are cheaper than foreign counterparts, often not inferior to them in functionality.
Cordless screwdriver "Interskol"
Products from the Russian manufacturer of power tools for various purposes, "Interskol" have long earned the trust of many users. The quality of the goods said the manufacturer provides a 2-year warranty.
The price of the very popular OA-3.6F rechargeable screwdriver with a maximum torque of 5 Nm, 15 positions of the twisting force adjustment, a hinged handle, a lithium-ion built-in 1.3 Ah battery varies depending on the configuration (with or without a case) - from 950 to 1300 rubles. The weight of the product is only 500 g, so the hand will not get tired even in the process of long work on tightening / unscrewing various screws, self-tapping screws or screws.
A distinctive feature of the battery screwdriver "Interskol OA-4.8" is a handle with a variable angle (in three fixed positions). The built-in indicator light allows you to monitor the status of a nickel-cadmium battery (4.8V and 1.1 Ah capacity).A gearbox made of high-strength metal and a 9-step tightening force regulator allow the user to easily cope with screws and screws up to 4 mm in diameter. The cost of the product today is 1600-1700 rubles.
Popular models of the Russian manufacturer "Bison"
The ZO-3.6-Li B model is the starting point for the Bison battery screwdrivers. Lightweight device (weight is only 400 g), with a convenient hinged handle (providing two working positions: straight or L-shaped) and a maximum torque of 3 Nm costs only 840-880 rubles. A set of bits and special drills included in the package, as well as a 3-year warranty (for domestic use) have a very positive effect on the popularity of the product.
The “Zubr ZO-7.2-Li KN Transformer-M” cordless screwdriver occupies the leading position in terms of its functionality and technical characteristics, as well as its configuration. Two 7.2V removable batteries ensure uninterrupted operation using such a device for a long time. 19-step adjustment of torque (maximum - 6.5 Nm) allows you to work comfortably as with small screws of various electrical equipment (for example, when installing distribution cabinets),and tighten the screws in solid wood (for example, when assembling furniture made of natural oak or beech). A plastic case in which the product itself, a charger and an extra battery are placed, only adds convenience in use, storage and transportation. And although the price is quite high and amounts to about 3,300 rubles, many professionals have appreciated all the positive aspects of this convenient device.
Bosch cordless screwdriver
The time-tested, well-known German manufacturer offers users a wide variety of products to facilitate the work with a variety of fasteners. The model range is very wide.
For a home craftsman it will be quite enough to purchase a Bosch IXO V rechargeable screwdriver for 2300-2380 rubles. A maximum torque of 4.5 Nm is sufficient for tightening screws up to 5 mm in diameter. And the capacity of the built-in battery (1.5 Ah) is enough to assemble, for example, a wardrobe or any other furniture, without being distracted by recharging (which is 3 hours).
Professionals will appreciate the capabilities of the Bosch GSR 10.8 V-LI (worth about 8,700 rubles).The engine of the new generation, which this model is equipped with, provides the maximum torque of 18 Nm (even many representatives of full-size screwdrivers cannot boast of such a high figure). Convenience of use is enhanced by a special holder designed for mounting on the employee's belt.
Of particular note is the Bosch Go rechargeable screwdriver. Innovative technologies used in its manufacture have allowed the product to become the undisputed leader among small-sized devices. Technical characteristics of this “kid”: maximum torque - 5 Nm (with 6 feet of adjustment), weight - 280 g, idling speed - 360 rpm, battery capacity - 1.5 Ah. The ergonomics of the handle are as close as possible to the look of an ordinary manual screwdriver. Transfer to the operating mode can be accomplished by simply pressing the product on the twisted hardware. Using the supplied 33-bit set, you can tighten / unscrew any screw or screw. The cost of a Bosch Go cordless screwdriver today is about 3,000 rubles.
Black & Decker screwdriver models
The inexpensive Black & Decker KC9024B model (cost about 700 rubles) is highly demanded by specialists (both professionals and amateurs),who have to deal with the maintenance or repair of various household electrical or radio engineering. A torque of 2.4 Nm is sufficient to carry out, for example, the assembly or maintenance of computers.
The extra corner nozzle for working in hard-to-reach places significantly improves the functionality of a Black & Decker CS3652LC-XK screwdriver with a fixed pistol grip. The cost of such a convenient device is about 2600 rubles.
What to look for when choosing
Having decided that a rechargeable screwdriver will be superfluous in your set of household tools, you should pay attention to a few highlights:
- First of all, you need to decide on the density of the material in which you plan to periodically tighten the hardware. The harder the wood, the greater the maximum torque needed from the screwdriver.
- Then you should think about how often you need this device. If you use a mechanized screwdriver from time to time, then it is wiser to purchase a product with a nickel-cadmium battery, and strictly adhere to the manufacturer's instructions on how to recharge it.For daily use, devices with lithium-ion batteries are better suited.
- From the battery capacity will directly depend on the time of continuous operation of the device without recharging. For short-term work with fasteners suitable products with the value of this indicator to 1 Ah.
- The final cost of the product is largely affected by the package. If you buy a device without a case and sets of bits (which you may not need), you can save a lot.
- And the last, but no less important point that you should pay attention to is the manufacturer. If he has long been engaged in the manufacture of power tools and has proven himself both in your personal opinion and in the opinion of users (do not be lazy to get acquainted with them), then you can be sure of the quality of the product you are purchasing.
The final choice of the product, which will avoid corns when tightening screws or screws, depends on your personal preferences, and on financial possibilities. In any case, having acquired a convenient electrical device and a few standard bits, you can quickly and effortlessly disassemble or assemble furniture,install and plug in an additional outlet, repair a children's bicycle, and perform dozens of different works related to tedious processes of tightening or unscrewing.