Complicated nose drops for kids: composition and instructions
Every mother knows firsthand the situation when the child has a cold and he has a runny nose. In ordinary cases, simple nasal drops help ensure rapid removal of nasal congestion. However, if the disease is prolonged and the usual remedies for the common cold do not help, the doctor may prescribe treatment with special - compound drops.
Indications for use
Complicated drops (compound) - a drug for the treatment of rhinitis, having in its composition more than one component. Combined drops are able to act simultaneously in several directions at the same time, thereby accelerating the healing process.
Complicated drops for children are not appointed very often, since many components are allowed to be used only from a certain age. But if the catarrhal disease has become protracted in nature or complications have appeared, the doctor may, at its discretion, draw up a prescription for compound drops, taking into account the age and physiological characteristics of the child.
Apply drops for the following diseases:
- Rhinitis (acute, chronic).
- Sinusitis (acute, chronic).
In addition, complex drops can be prescribed by a doctor if the child has an allergic reaction to any particular type of nasal drops.
The composition of nasal drops is determined individually and only by the attending ENT doctor.
The choice of components of complex drops depends on many factors:
- forms of rhinitis (allergic, physiological, bacterial);
- severity of the disease (acute, chronic);
- nature of discharge from the nasal cavity (thick or liquid, purulent or transparent, etc.);
- characteristics of the body (the presence of contraindications to individual drugs);
- the presence of complications (otitis, sinusitis);
- child's age;
- the presence of allergies to any drug component.
What are the complicated drops? Their composition is diverse, as a rule, it is formed by the attending physician, depending on the form of the disease. Each ingredient in compound drops can also be a separate drug.
Only a pharmacist in a pharmacy with a special department for the preparation of prescription drugs can prepare such a solution.Independently, such a solution can be prepared, if you follow the instructions of the doctor, to observe the doses of the components and sterility during preparation.
Important! It is not recommended to prepare a solution of drops, following the recipes posted on the Internet resources! The recipe should write a competent specialist.
Advantages and disadvantages in the use of compound droplets
The use of compound drops in the treatment adhere to otolaryngologists, old-timers. However, most modern doctors share the opinion that compound drops are in many ways more effective than modern combined remedies for rhinitis and antritis, such as Vibrocil, Polydex, Afrin, Avamys, etc. In order to figure out what is better for the treatment of rhinitis, below is a list of disadvantages and advantages of the combined drops.
The advantages of complex drops
- The relative cheapness of the components - the price of such a solution is small, since the dose of each component is minimal and is selected for one therapy and for one person.
- A broader spectrum of action - the combined drops act on all the unpleasant symptoms of a runny nose, and treatment takes place in a shorter time.
- The selection of components occurs individually, taking into account the physiological characteristics of the child.
- Ease of use.
The disadvantages of complex drops
- The content of highly active irritants.
- The presence of side effects.
- Short shelf life.
- Inadmissibility of use at usual cold.
- The presence of contraindications to individual components.
- Complicated nose drops for children under 5 years of age are generally prohibited.
- Systemic effects of individual components on the child's body.
- Adding in the composition of nasal funds - adrenaline, hormones.
- The presence of allergic reactions to individual components.
- The lack of data from clinical studies on the use of drugs in the treatment of sinusitis, sinusitis, otitis.
Also worth mentioning are the side effects that may arise from the use of such complex drops.
Remember that complex drops can give a variety of side reactions. The instruction usually emphasizes this probability. What are these reactions:
Thus, compound nasal drops in some cases can accelerate recovery, in others - not only do not help, but also worsen the state of health.The decision must be made by a specialist and the prescription must be coordinated with the child’s parents.
Approximate composition of drops
Depending on the nature of the disease, complex drops may consist of two or more components. The more components, the more effective the treatment, if all components of the drops for the child were chosen correctly and in the appropriate dosage.
How to make difficult drops for children? Antiallergic drugs
Needed to relieve swelling, as well as unpleasant symptoms - itching, burning, dryness in the nose. They are especially effective in combating allergic allergies.
The main types of antihistamines used in these formulations are Suprastin, Fenistil, Dimedrol, Tavegil, Zyrtec. It is not recommended to use "Zodak", as it contains acetic acid.
Antiseptics and antibiotics
Most often, they are the basis for drops, their main task is to reduce inflammation and edema, which is important when the bacterial nature of rhinitis or sinusitis. Antibiotic for bacterial rhinitis should be part of the drops necessarily!
The main antiseptics that are used for making drops are: "Dioxidin", "Furacilin", "Miramistin", "Lincomycin", etc.
It is necessary to take into account the fact that the antiseptic "Dioxidin" is a potent substance, according to the instructions it is prohibited to use it for children under 18 years old! When applied topically, the drug should be used carefully, as long-term use and overdose can cause atrophy of the nasal mucous membranes.
Vasoconstrictor drops (decogestants)
This component must contain complex drops, the composition of the drops can not be complete without this kind of drugs, since their task is to remove the swelling in the nasal cavity and to provide air access to the nasal passages.
When choosing vasoconstrictor drops should take into account the fact that their use in children can cause an increase in blood pressure and heart palpitations, so you should choose the most benign drugs.
If the solution is prepared in a pharmacy, then such drops as "Metazon" can be added to the composition. If you prepare complicated nose drops for children at home, the composition can be supplemented with any ready vasoconstrictor drops: Nazivin, Naphthyzinum, Oxylymetazoline.
When choosing a vasoconstrictor, the doctor needs to find out what nasal drops the parents used before the visit to the doctor, if the child does not get used to them, then the doctor can also include them in the prescription drops. If the dependence on nasal drops has appeared, then the doctor may select others, taking into account the age of the child.
Adding hormonal drugs is required if the form of the disease is severe and ordinary vasoconstrictor drugs do not help. They provide relief from swelling and inflammation, as well as allergic reactions.
Typically, hydrocortisone is added to the solution - a hormone that in a very short time can stop all the symptoms of a cold. You should know that prolonged use of this drug can cause adrenal dysfunction, which are responsible for the growth of the body, so you need to prescribe such a drug with caution.
If the child is not 6 years old, then it is possible to purchase an intranasal drug "Nasonex" or "Nasobek". These are ready-made drops for the treatment of prolonged rhinitis, and they can be used from a young age.
Added to maintain the immunity of the child during the illness. It is not a necessary component in the preparation of the composition. The easiest immunomodulator is the well-known Interferon, which perfectly complements complex drops for children. Drug instructions do not prohibit this.
Included in all the formulations of such drops is the basis.
These include various essential oils or extracts of medicinal plants. Added at the discretion of the doctor.
Their use in compound drops is necessary to eliminate dryness of the nasal cavity, relieve inflammation, and restore damaged nasal mucous membranes.
Important! It is not recommended to use vasoconstrictor drops for more than 5-7 days. Prolonged use of such drops causes atrophy of the nasal mucosa.
The following are only approximate recipes for compound drops, but the exact ENT doctor should determine the more accurate dosage and list of ingredients.
Recipe number 1
The most famous recipe in otolaryngology. How to cook classic complex drops? The proportions are one-to-one, the preparations "Miramistin" and "Naphthyzin" (0.05%) are taken, and these equal parts are mixed together.
As a container, you can use an empty container from under the "Naphthyzin". It is acceptable to use one “Miramistin”, but if the edema is pronounced, then it is better to combine these two drugs. This recipe is used mainly for children diagnosed with adenoids.
Recipe number 2
Here are more complicated drops for children. The composition is as follows: "Miramistin", "Dimedrol", "Naphthyzinum" (or "Nafazolin"), "Hydrocortisone" (or "Dexamethasone"). Such a composition of drops is prescribed by a doctor for sinusitis (especially chronic), a bacterial cold, and rhinitis complications (otitis).
Recipe number 3
This recipe is prepared only in a pharmacy by a pharmacist - suspension "Hydrocortisone", "Albucidus". It turns out very effective complex drops, the recipe of which is not a secret, but their use requires very specific medical indications.
"Albucidum" is a powerful broad spectrum antibacterial agent. It can be combined with Nazivin, or you can simply with the hormone Hydrocortisone. "Albucidum" can also be used for newborns as a prophylaxis against blistering. But it should be used with caution, as the drug causes a burning sensation in the nose.
How to choose the combined drops?
To do this, you need to visit a specialist (otorhinolaryngologist), he will conduct the necessary examination, appoint tests and after examining the history of the disease, in case of confirmation of the diagnosis, will make a recipe for combined drops.
Next, you need to purchase all the necessary components in a pharmacy or find a prescription department, where you can order the composition of the drops prescribed by a doctor.
After that, you must give a request to the pharmacist to make you complex drops. Making composite drops does not take much time, they can be picked up immediately on the spot. After that, you can begin treatment activities.
Specialized prescription departments of pharmacies are found, unfortunately, only in cities and in small quantities, so the majority of the population resorts to the independent production of compound drops.
Instructions for use of a solution of a few drops
Before use, the solution must be heated to room temperature.
Drops are permissible to apply for 5-7 days (not longer), it is necessary to bury no more than 2 drops and not more than 3 times a day.
Before using compound drops, you must:
- To clear a nose to the child. To do this, the child needs to blow his own nose if he is old enough for this, or clean his nose with an aspirator or pear, if the child is very small or a newborn. As a means for washing the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses can act saline or spray "Aquamaris", "Aquamore", "Aqualor". These solutions include sea salt, which allows you to effectively clean and disinfect the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses.
- To drip complex drops in the nose. The composition of the drops, as already mentioned, will help determine the doctor. The compound medicine is instilled with one or two drops in each nostril. If the baby is infant, then a cotton swab can be used. To do this, you need to roll it into a tight flagellum, lightly dip it in medicine and push it into the child's nostril and hold it for a while. After that, pull out the swab. To do the same with the other nostril, the cotton swab for each nostril should be separate.
- Treat the nose with oil. After nasal breathing has become free and easy, it is necessary to drip one drop of vegetable oil into each nostril.This procedure is necessary to avoid drying out the nasal mucosa during treatment with combined drops.
It is recommended to store complex drops in the refrigerator, since at room temperature the active substances may lose their properties (especially hormones).
If the drops are in a glass vial and a pipette is used for instillation, then the drops can be stored for no more than 7 days. If the solution is in a closed vial with a hole, then the shelf life can reach two weeks. After the expiration date of the drop can not be used, they must be disposed of immediately.
Thus, despite the advantages of using such drops for prolonged forms of rhinitis and complications of colds, the doctor and the parents of the child must relate the benefits and harms of using such drops for him.