Burning tongue: what to do, how to treat and where to turn
Where does this disease come from?
Do you know the burning sensation in your mouth? When it burns not only the tongue, the sky and the gums, but even the lips and the throat? And it is not at all clear what caused these unpleasant feelings. All this is called "burning mouth syndrome", also known as "glossalgia". This disease is much more common in women than in men.
The main symptom of the syndrome is burning of the tongue and throat. Most often, this symptom manifests itself in the afternoon, and increases in the evening. Dry mouth and lips, numbness of the tongue, metallic taste and bitterness can also occur.
Causes of the syndrome
Most often, burning tongue is a concomitant symptom for a number of diseases and conditions:
- Syndrome of dry mouth. Dry mouth and, as a consequence, burning, can be caused by taking medication and Sjogren's syndrome. In this case, to get rid of the discomfort will help drinking plenty and abolition of drugs that caused this unpleasant symptom.
- Lack of vitamins and minerals in the body.A deficiency of iron, vitamin B and folic acid can cause a burning sensation of the tongue. Treatment in this case is carried out by adding products containing appropriate vitamins and trace elements to the human ration.
- Aphthous stomatitis. This is a fungal infection, in which there is a white cheesy plaque in the mouth and does not leave feelingburning sensation. Treatment in this case should appoint a dentist after the inspection.
- Menopause. Hormonal changes in a woman’s body can trigger a burning sensation in the mouth. To cope with this unpleasant symptom will help hormone medications prescribed by a gynecologist.
- Diabetes. People with diabetes periodically feel a burning tongue. In this case, you need to carefully monitor the level of sugar in the blood.
- Depression. Depression itself does not cause glossy, it can only aggravate existing diseases. Also, stress affects the amount of saliva production, which in turn increases the discomfort.
Burning syndrome in the mouth may be due to a reaction to the composition of toothpaste and irritation from dentures, and may also indicate a decrease in the level of thyroid hormones and changes in the composition of saliva.
What to do?
Periodically feeling a burning sensation of the tongue, it is necessary to immediately go to the dentist. If, after examination, the doctor excludes diseases of the oral cavity, then it is worth visiting a therapist. The true cause of unpleasant purification will be revealed only after passing the necessary tests. Based on their results, the doctor will prescribe the most effective treatment.
Treatmentburning mouth syndrome
Treatment of glossary is based on the elimination of the disease by which it is caused. It is necessary to treat the root cause, be it diabetes or stomatitis. Feeling a burning tongue, it is necessary to exclude from the diet spicy foods and beverages containing acid, and also to refrain from smoking and alcohol.